COME ALONG FOR THE RIDE...
THIS IS WHAT I'VE BEEN DOING

Step outside my nest and look up
~ sigh ~
beautiful sky....
cotton candy white against the blue

Heading West..
the Monday through Friday trek

a few minutes and I am looking at the Saddle Back Mountains
appropriately named, don't you think?

When I first moved here ten years ago
I would drive a little further and further out each day
to learn my way around
But I would only do this during daylight hours
and it was the mountains that would get me home
each group so unique and easy to memorize


A teeny but further down and you can see the McDowells to the South
and the still undeveloped land in the forefront.

There was very little on this stretch when I first visited in 96.

and driving East on this very road, in the dark, with my girlfriend who had moved here
I asked her "Where in the world did you move to???? there is NOTHING here!!"

I quickly learned how I would love to see the 'nothing'
Turning into the drive of this lovely (in a desert way) property, I am not really thinking
about the work day ahead.

Just the gorgeousness.


Even as I approach the first of the buildings,
the very one I worked in for a few years
when I first got here.

The very building I would drive by on my outings to explore

The very place I would look over at
and proclaim to the universe

'I AM GOING TO BE WORKING THERE.'

Everyone said "oh, it's hard to get in there"

I truly just shrugged my shoulders

and honestly believed
I would be an exception to THAT rule.

I had determined after moving out here that I needed to have a job by November


I did.

It was here.

But now I take a left
and head to a building that looks similar
to a job that is NOT similiar
And this is what I have been doing since I visited here with you last.
Throw in a little bit of this and that

but mostly sleep,

get up

and drive this drive
to this place

then reverse after 9 - 10 hours.

No art,
very little writing,
a bit of conversation with loved ones,
not much blogging or e-mail.

But I am so truly grateful that as mundane as this all sounds
for all that I have.

Every day that goes by lately,
when newscasts are quick to tell us the horrific numbers

losing jobs

losing homes

I think about how fortunate I am.

AND HOW ABOUT THAT STUNNING,

EIGHT AND A HALF MILE RIDE?
and this wasn't even the most beautiful
half of the drive.

No comments: