Yikes….

did we really just say good-bye to one half of 2008?!!!

It feels like a run away train,

this life.

Looking out…


the images of my life so far.. blurred

flickr photo

..and quickly behind me

I seem to be racing to whatever is at the end of the tracks.

Does it seem unfair that when we are young

and all of life is ahead

we stand unaware of the preciousness of every day?

I confess to submitting to melancholy today


quite similar to the last days of each December.

Of wanting to hit the ‘rewind’ button

and hold my tiny children in my arms again

and smell their just washed hair

.....feel their kisses on my check


or at the very least

push ‘Pause.’

And allow each hour today to be filled and overflowing...

to shut the lights tonight feeling it was an abundant day.

I guess I would wish you all a day

aware

of the preciousness.

I smile when I think of the pieces of paper

and small notebooks filled with

one or two lines

that my children will inherit when the train ride is completed.

flickr photo

My own poetry.

...little drawings

Words from a song or a book.

Lines from a movie on film

or one made up in my head…….

Like this one jotted down so quickly in a tiny notebook

“There is melancholy in the wind and sorrow in the grass” (Charles Kuralt).

right next to the words of Herbert Hoover:

Older men declare war. But it is the youth that must fight and die.

I read these notations and try to think back to the writing

there is no notation of the date

none of the thoughts that I am certain followed the writing...

no reason behind my
wanting to remember.

Just the saving of words and thoughts

An attempt at hitting the 'Pause' button I suspect.



2 comments:

Betzie said...

I can so relate to this Rella. I too have been feeling waves of melancholy this past year. I long for my sons to be little boys again and my parents to be their young selves again too. Life is a fast moving train for sure. Riding it right along with you...
Betzie

Sandra Evertson said...

Yes, it is hard to believe, time is speeding by! Great post!
Sandra Evertson