photo courtesy of Jess

THE PASSION FOR BLYTHE

Part eight in my series on the obsession passion 
for the big-headed doll known as Blythe. 

Interview #8: Jess Rollar, Arizona
Known as Milky Robot on Flickr
& her website Milky Robot
 photo courtesy of Jess
Please honor the fact that these photos
belong to Jess and may not be used in
any way without her permission 


photo courtesy of Jess


Jess, thank you, so much, for agreeing to be part of this series. Why don’t you begin by telling us a little about life, your family, pets, etc.


J: Lets see, I'm 27, married to a photographer and have a sweet 2 year old girl named Zoë. 

photo courtesy of Jess
photo courtesy of Jess
 We all own a small townhome in Arizona, which we share we 3 crazy cats, Elvis, Lucy and Cha Cha. My hubby does nature and landscape photography Rollar Productions and has been teaching me in photography as I go, I love it! 
photo courtesy of Jess
photo courtesy of Jess
  Other than Blythe, I love knitting, crochet, nature and street art. 
photo courtesy of Jess

photo courtesy of Jess

photo courtesy of Jess
 Some can't tell that I love color since I'm always in jeans and black tee's, but color screams to me everywhere I go and I love to incorporate it in the things I create. 
photo courtesy of Jess
 R:. What is it about Blythe that drew you to collecting and what do you love most about this special obsession? 

J: I’ll admit, at first I didn’t understand the addiction to Blythe. I started out collecting Dal and Pullip dolls, then
caved and got my first girl, a Frosty Frock. I was then addicted! I think my favorite part of the Blythe obsession is the people I meet. 

photo courtesy of Jess

Being a customizer, I get to interact with so many wonderful people that truly make this hobby unique and fun.

photo courtesy of Jess


 R:  Does your husband share your enthusiasm and understand it, especially when you take a doll with you on a trip or just a little outing? Would he help in the
staging of a photograph? 


J: Haha! He thinks I’m... special. He loves to see my face light up when I get a new girl or if a girl arrives for customizing. I don’t think he minds to much when I bring a girl with me on a trip, it’s pretty normal to him when I do. 

latest WIP -monster girl - photo by Jess

Plus I’m discrete... kinda. It’s rare he will hold one though, I think he’s more afraid I’ll whip out my iPhone and take a picture of him haha!

R: What is the funniest thing that ever happened to you while taking photographs of
your dolls? 

J: Hmm, nothing too crazy has happened yet. Other than the
normal Licca bodies bending in half backwards, right after I set up the perfect shot! 

photo courtesy of Jess
R: You now do customizations including, reroots, tell us how this came about and where you frightened the very first time you opened the head of a doll? 

photo courtesy of Jess

photo courtesy of Jess
J: I started doing customs on first 2nd Blythe, a CapChat. I really wasn’t afraid at all, it seemed normal to me really. 

photo courtesy of Jess
My first time opening up an SBL with the saw scared the crap out of me, but now it’s second nature if I have to saw one open.
photo courtesy of Jess


R: When you first started with Blythes, who or where did you turn to in order to gather as much information as possible?

J: I pretty much learned on my own, I tend to soak things up like a sponge. I would sit on the computer at night and examine pictures and websites. When I started customizing, I never looked at tutorials or anything, just went at it on my own.
photo courtesy of Jess
 R: Your crocheting appears to be a real passion as well, not only for the dolls, but creating darling little monsters. 
photo courtesy of Jess

photo courtesy of Jess
 When did you first start crocheting and when did you begin making the darling little creatures? 

J: I started crocheting in October of 2010, very recent really. I’ve been knitting for around 10 years, as well as spinning yarn. 
photo courtesy of Jess
photo courtesy of Jess

I tried to teach myself to crochet for years but couldn’t grasp it. Then one day, I was bored and just picked it up instantly. I started making my own designs by my 3rd crochet project. I never follow patterns anymore, instead I make them! :)
**You can find Jess' work and original patterns 
at her Etsy shop
photo courtesy of Jess
photo courtesy of Jess

R: Is there any advice you would give someone new to the world of Blythe? 

J: Have fun! Enjoy the dolls and get involved with the Blythe community and make new friends! It’s a great hobby and I can’t really see my life without Blythe ever again!

photo courtesy of Jess

 R: Is there a favorite Blythe, mold, or even a custom that you hope to have some
day? 


J: My favorite Blythe ever is Fancy Pansy and Amaryllis. Love them! I think my favorite mold would have to be either FBL or BL. Something about those chubby cheeks on FBL’s drive me crazy, I love them! I already own a Blythe by my favorite customizer, Erica Fustero. 
photo courtesy of Jess

One day I would kill to own a Hola Gominola custom, I want to steal Oreo!

 R: What do you think or hope the future holds for you with regard to your love of crochet, Blythes, and everything in between? 

J: The future seems very bright with Blythe in it! I can’t seem to quit her and gave in after I took a little break away from her. I truely love Blythe! I don’t own very many
girls but who I do have, I treasure completely.
photo courtesy of Jess
  R: And last, but not even close to being the least, how many Blythes do you think have come and gone through your home at this writing? And how many are in
residence right now? 


J: Right now I only have the one, Chuck, my Simply Chocolate that was customized by Erica Fustero. 

photo courtesy of Jess
 I have had SO many come and go, the one I miss the most would have to be my Goldie, Beetlejuice. 
photo courtesy of Jess

One day I would love to get another.


Well, I so hope you enjoyed your visit with Jess, Milky Robot.  She is such a talented gal and I am betting we will see much more down the road coming from this amazing artisan.
Thank you, Jess, for a really fun interview!

photo courtesy of Jess
Until next time my friends ....




2 comments:

Ana Cristina Caldatto said...

belas fotos!
e
um dia quero ter coragem de abrir a cabeça da minha blythe como voce fez!

Cinderella Moments said...

Awww! The little monsters and the dolls are so cute!
hugs,
Caroline